sashiko pillow


I've long been admiring these absolutely stunning Atelier + S patchwork linen and sashiko tote bags . So beautiful, aren't they? I love how they are sort of rustic looking, yet pretty and stylish at the same time.

So, the other day when I found myself with a bit of spare time and no project to work on, I decided to make a pillow cover inspired by these totes. 


I thought I'd work on patchwork base first, but I really wanted to get stitching, so I decided simple square of Essex linen will do. I drew the lines using ruler and water soluble fabric pen.


I even had some sashiko thread on hand so I was able to get stitching right away. Oh, and I adhered fusible fleece to wrong side of my linen before I started stitching since I found a single layer of linen to be a bit too flimsy for my liking.

This was one of those almost instant gratification projects as I finished all the stitching while watching a movie one evening and turned it into a pillow the next day. The pillow cover finished at 18" square and has an invisible zipper closure for easy removal.

What are your go to projects when you don't have much time but still want to make something? Do tell. I'd love to know.

Happy Monday to you all!  Svetlana