block printed note cards (a quick how to}



Hello everyone!

Many of you expressed interest in reading more about my stamping and printing, so today I'd like to share a quick tutorial on how I made my block printed thank you cards (my stamp was inspired by this stamp and cards). Hope you enjoy this quick little tutorial:)


♥  ♥  ♥  ♥  ♥

Here are the materials I used:


carving block (I like using this one)
#2 pencil
sharpie
x-Acto knife
ink pad
rubber brayer
baren
freezer paper to draw my design on (not pictured)
scrap paper for print testing (not pictured)
heavy paper for finished cards (not pictured)


1. Draw the image/text you'd like to carve on freezer paper.

2. Once happy with your image, flip it right side down on carving block. Rub the side of your pencil along the whole picture to transfer image to your carving block. Remove the paper.

3. Use sharpie to draw along the image's lines, shade the area that doesn't need carving. Use lino cutting tool to carve around your image.

4. Use ink pad and paper to check how your stamp looks and keep carving until you're completely satisfied with the finished look.

5. Spread block printing ink on inking plate using rubber brayer.

6. Use brayer to evenly spread ink on your stamp.

7. Place your note card right side down on inked stamp. Use baren to insure there's equal pressure and even distribution of ink.

8. Carefully pull the note card off the stamp.

9. Let dry and your card is ready to be used.


Pretty fun, isn't it? I hope you do give stamp carving and printing a try. And, if you have any helpful links or questions please leave them in comments section below for all to see.

Wishing you all a happy and creative day. 

Svetlana