#mayisformakers {necessary clutch wallet}

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to show you my newest wallet I made using a pattern I purchased as part of #mayisformakers campaign (read more by clicking here).


Here's my version of the Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags.

This is not the easiest or quickest wallet to sew, but definitely worth all the extra effort it requires. It's a super clever, well written pattern, and I greatly appreciated all the additional tips and ideas Janelle shares on alternate front flap (which is the one I decided to go with, stripe inspired by this lovely clutch) as well as adding a removable wrist or shoulder strap to one's wallet.

(second version)

(first version)
 
As you can see from the two pictures above, I made two almost identical wallets in the last few days. Now, my plan was to make just one. But there were way too many features I wanted to improve on once my first wallet was finished, I simply decided to rip it up, reuse the parts I could, and start all over. Yes, I do things like that on a regular basis :).

The thing that bugged me to no end on my first version was how terrible my side seams looked. There were quite a few layers of fabric and interfacing I had to deal with, plus it was really hard to get a good access with my sewing machine. And, to make things worse, I used contrasting thread instead of coordinating one. Definitely not a smart choice.


 Thankfully though I came across this gorgeous version of Necessary Clutch Wallet on Pinterest  and decided to copy the idea of using rivets instead of stitching. I love how it looks and I think it gives the finished wallet that extra little touch of special.


I also changed the way I installed the zipper pocket to reduce on bulk in the side seams, and added a removable wrist strap (you can find a free tutorial here) to my second version. And, I used a different closure because I wanted it to match my rivets.

I wanted my wallet to be quite sturdy, so I used 809 Decor Bond for all the exterior panels, and SF101 interfacing for lining and pockets. Plus, I added a layer of fusible fleece to my flap for added sturdiness and structure. Worked like a charm :).

I'm absolutely in love with this wallet and I'm super happy I decided to make a second, way better looking version.

Wishing you all a fantastically creative week. Svetlana